Sunday, June 8, 2014

Beauty starts with you.

     I started selling Mary Kay because it seemed like a lot of fun. I'd be selling something people liked and trying makeup is fun. It also seemed like a good way to empower women, telling them they are beautiful before they buy makeup.

     Then I started looking up makeup blogs and makeup tips and tutorials and I found a few that made me rethink selling makeup at all. Apparently there are women who don't have the confidence to step out of their house without makeup on their faces. This concerned me because, as a woman, I think it is important for women to have confidence in themselves (body, mind, and soul) rather than relying on outside forces. Not that its not okay to gain confidence from dressing up or one thing or another. I just hope that women can find their main source of confidence to be in themselves. (Actually as a Christian my main point of confidence is Christ, but not everyone chooses this. If you don't have a "higher calling" then you are the "higher calling".)

     So I sell makeup but I don't want to contribute to the ridiculous beauty standards of today. Is this possible? Everyone is beautiful and should wear the clothes and make up they feel comfortable in; the one's that build confidence. I do believe there are appropriate styles for appropriate places or events (for example one wouldn't wear dark smokey eyes to a job interview) but for the most part each person define's their own beauty. Beauty is defined differently across the globe. Your best friend may have a different opinion of beauty than you do when it comes to certain styles or accessories. Beauty starts with you. You have your own innate beauty.

     At first I thought it was weird that I started selling makeup when I didn't wear any to begin with but I don't draw my confidence from makeup and I don't tell women that they need makeup to be pretty, or confident or happy. I sell accessories for skin. You can dress up or dress down.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment