Monday, July 21, 2014

Kabuki vs. Blender Sponge

Last weekend I went on a shopping safari looking for three new brushes. I went to about four different stores before I found them. One of these brushes was the kabuki brush. I was really excited to try the kabuki brush because I heard it can be used for foundation, primer, blush, liquid or powder and it seemed really useful as opposed to having a few separate brushes.

My friend said it looked like a shaving brush men use. I got the biggest, fluffiest one I could find and that was probably a mistake because I found it to be a little inconvenient. I guess there's a lesson there; keep the brushes proportionate to your face? There were smaller kabuki brushes but for some reason I really wanted the big one. Really the brush just has more bristles than the other types for better coverage I guess.

Can't get good coverage around the eye area with a fluffisized kabuki.

I put some liquid foundation on my hands and then dabbed the brush in it and brushed it on my face. I worked from the middle of my face upward and outward. It went on smoothly but I don't think it was really effective in blending. Eventually I switched to the stippling brush which blended really well.



The kabuki brush did better with the powder. It created a nice finish, however the airbrush blender sponge also does a good job and I feel that because I already owned the sponge that the kabuki was unnecessary. I may end up reserving it for finishing powder.

http://www.blankcanvascosmetics.com/products/airbrush-blender-sponge-pink-colour.html


I'm going to keep practicing with the kabuki and liquid foundation. I'm not sure about using it for blush and bronzer. If I had a smaller one, yes, but currently the one I have doesn't seem to be handy for strategic contouring and blushing. It'll end up not exactly where I want it.


No comments:

Post a Comment